How to dress Parisian Chic
Hi girls,So you want to dress like a fashionable Parisian? Well it's easy to pull off if you know what you are doing. For instance, if you go to Paris and wear Uggs and a North Face, you will labeled an "American" within the first few minutes because Paris, as everyone knows, is the fashion capital of the world. Here's how to fit in.
If you're going to do a lot of walking (or your balance in heels just isn't great), stick to flats or boots. They are cute and you can wear them anywhere.
Tie-front cardigans are okay, just make sure you wear a white or differently-colored camisole beneath them.
1Wear flattering basics. You might see a lot of people around Paris wearing black, navy or grey, and with good reason - those colors tend to be slimming and flattering on most people. Consider adding the following pieces to your wardrobe:
- Knee-length pencil or A-line skirts. Mini skirts or super-long skirts are more difficult to pull off, and might not look as Parisian. Wear dark colors in the winter, and consider light colors or delicate floral prints for summer.
- Slender or skinny-cut trousers in dark colors. They can be cropped or full-length.
- A dark-wash skinny jean with no visible rips or tears.
- Crisp blouses in neutral colors such as white, beige, cream, navy, grey, or black. Make sure they fit you well and don't sag around the waist.
2Wear sensible but stylish shoes. Flats, riding boots,thin sandals, and pumps are all appropriate Parisian shoes. Avoid trainers, flip-flops, or heavy boots (such as Uggs).
3Wear fitted jackets and coats. Trench coats, pea coats, feminine leather jackets, and cropped or fitted blazers all look chic without being fussy. Avoid sweatshirts or anything with a loud label.
4Wear cardigans. They go with skirts and pants, and they are light enough to wear in spring and summer.
5Accessorize minimally. Don't wear too much jewelry. Remember: wear pearls during the day and diamonds at night (real or fake). You can also wear a scarf, a cute headband, large sunglasses, or a sophisticated handbag.
6Wear minimal makeup. Parisian women aspire to look fresh-faced and healthy, but not overly made-up. Try sticking to powder foundation, a light dusting of blush, undereye concealer, and one coat of mascara on the upper lashes.
7Wear the attitude. Dress with confidence, and carry yourself proudly. Try to greet the world with a sense of politeness and calm.
- Go easy on the perfume; a few sprays will take you a long way.
- If anybody asks where you got something, do not say "Wal-Mart" (even if that's true). Just tell him or her you bought it from a store somewhere but forgot the name.
- Expect to dress your age. Trying to dress younger than you are is frowned upon in Paris, where women wear their ages proudly.
- Don't play up both your legs and your cleavage. If you're going to emphasize one, tone down the other.
- You do not need to splurge on the above (and below) mentioned items. Go to stores where you can buy clothes that are good quality, but also cheap. Old Navy is a good place to start.
- If say you find a brilliant shawl or hat, do not think you can't wear it. You can if you add it to the right outfit.
- It is okay to wear jeans, sweatpants, and a hoodie mooching around the house, but please not in front of your fashion-forward friends.